[Meeting-announcements] No. 10/19 - Pacific Regional Information & Communication Technology (ICT) Officials' and Ministers' Meeting
EfiR at spc.int
Fri Apr 30 00:11:33 EDT 2010
Representatives of Governments and Administrations
21 April 2010
PACIFIC REGIONAL INFORMATION & COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGY (ICT) OFFICIALS' AND MINISTERS' MEETING, 16 - 18 JUNE 2010, NUKU'ALOFA, TONGA
1. The Secretariat is pleased to invite you to a special meeting of ICT Officials' and Ministers from the Pacific countries, which will be convened by the Secretariat of the Pacific Community in collaboration with the Government of the Kingdom of Tonga, in Nuku'alofa, Tonga from 16th to 18th June 2010.
2. The ICT Officials' Meeting will precede the Ministerial meeting and will be held on the 16 and 17 of June, with the Ministerial Meeting on the 18 June.
3. The Pacific Forum Leaders, in their Cairns Communiqué, directed that (i) the Pacific Plan Digital Strategy be reviewed, and (ii) revise and update the ICT development framework for the Pacific region. The Pacific Islands Forum Secretariat (PIFS) commissioned the review of the Pacific Plan Digital Strategy with SPC and SOPAC at the end of 2009.
4. The review will also provide recommendations for the development of a revised regional ICT framework for the Pacific region. The draft report will be tabled for initial discussions by Pacific ICT Officials at the joint APT/ITU Policy and Regulation Forum for the Pacific, in Honiara, Solomon Islands on 27 - 29 April 2010. Further work will be undertaken to refine the revised ICT framework and develop a draft Pacific Plan digital strategy 2 which will be presented for consideration at the Tonga meetings in June.
Objective of the Meetings
5. The main objective of the June ICTs Officials meeting is to (i) consider the review report for the Pacific Plan digital strategy; (ii) consider the revised ICT framework for the region; and (iii) discuss and further refine the new Pacific Plan digital strategy to be considered and endorsed by the ICT Ministers when they meet following the officials meeting.
6. The meeting will also provide a platform for global, regional and national ICT stakeholders to come together and address Pacific ICT priorities in a collaborative manner. SPC would welcome your participation at this meeting to work together to address the key challenges in developing ICT in the Pacific and to exploit the use of ICT as a key tool for sustainable development, good governance and security.
Attendance at meeting and funding arrangements
7. Representatives from all members of the SPC are invited to attend this meeting. EU funding is available to support the travel cost of participants from the Pacific ACP countries. Participants from other island members who are unable to fund their own participation are invited to contact the Secretariat, as we are trying to secure additional funding.
Further details about the meeting
8. SPC will advise shortly on meeting logistics and other arrangements. However, for queries and/or further assistance you can contact Mr Siaosi Sovaleni, ICT Outreach Coordinator on email: SiaosiS at spc.int or Alisi Tuqa, Planning Officer on email AlisiT at spc.int
Dr Jimmie Rodgers
Original text: English
More information about the Meeting-announcements